On 2012-06-21 4:02 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:

p.s. mozilla uses it's own malloc which is annoying because OpenBSDs is
so much better!!!

We've done extensive tests and believe jemalloc is the best available
malloc for the way we use memory; however, I don't know that we've
tested specifically against OpenBSD malloc.  In what way is that better?
   Can you point to empirical evidence of this?

What were your metrics. Performance and/or security.

I wasn't directly involved, but I believe it was almost entirely performance. In contexts where malloc-related security is an overriding concern we have our own hacks -- see e.g. nsPresArena.cpp.

http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130687174807002&w=2
http://marc.info/?l=openbsd-misc&m=130688429221978&w=2

I could be wrong, but I am under the impression that we do not use tagged pointers anymore.

Do you mind If I forward this request to the OpenBSD list.
We may get some more accurate and interesting answers than I can give
that way.

Be my guest, but please respect follow-ups to dev.platform.

zw