> It'll be confusing, but the fact of the matter is that the "OS service
> calls" are pretty broken for cases when you might have more than one
> hostname to resolve and might care about doing other things at the same
> time (like in a browser, say)

I can understand why an OS wouldn't listen to this and they would be
right. A domain is exact not fuzzed. As for using your own resolver
that would be an extremely bad move. I can accept somehow overlaying
dnssec as a switch offable hack but only because it isn't available to
many and should be. Many use say unbound or spybot or their own host
file blocking. There's also OS specifics like OpenBSDs resolver allowing
tcp only requests etc.. It would also add to and not reduce firefox's
memory footprint.

Personally I would as is the current situation I believe ignore
sites without a dot and leave it as their problem to provide
an alternative url or suffer reduced hits or disable search from the
url bar, of course chrome won't do that. I've never been a fan of search
from the url bar but then I'm not a fan of dotless urls either. The TLD
should be a group not an entity and I'm annoyed that .org is now allowed
for profit making companies watering this feature down. I'm sure ai
isn't a high traffic money making site needing to serve the non
technical too.

p.s. mozilla uses it's own malloc which is annoying because OpenBSDs is
so much better!!!