> >> It'll be confusing, but the fact of the matter is that the "OS service
> >> calls" are pretty broken for cases when you might have more than one
> >> hostname to resolve and might care about doing other things at the same
> >> time (like in a browser, say)
> >
> > I can understand why an OS wouldn't listen to this and they would be
> > right. A domain is exact not fuzzed.
>
> I have no idea what you mean there.  I'm talking about a situation where
> you want to resolve foo.com, bar.cdn.com and resources.foo.com all in
> parallel.  No fuzzing of any sort.

I was under the impression the problem was dotless hostnames
conflicting with search. I don't see why multiple standard queries has
any bearing, dns queries are cheap even though browsers do far more than
they should pre-emptively by default (disabled in the OpenBSD
firefox port by default after some enthusiastic discussion, shall we
say).

> > As for using your own resolver that would be an extremely bad move
>
> Please go read the long existing discussions on this.

Please point me in the direction. At the moment I can only see bad
things coming from that. I guess which made it a long discussion.
Before dnssec and unbound I used tcp only, udp queries were blocked by
my firewalls. I had a way around it for Windows boxes but I guess an
inbuilt dns resolver would have really annoyed me?? Take a step back
when OpenBSD pioneered good dns randomisation, mozillas dns resolver
wouldn't have done, I guarantee it though the packet filter would have
probably fixed it up again. I just can't see how all situations could
possibly be foreseen. OSs can have multiple resolvers themselves.