On 7/7/14 8:07 PM, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
The pragmatist in me loves it :-).

There's probably a principled way to implement ForgetSkippable in a way
that's automatically checkable.

Having said all that, I'm not necessarily advocating GC+CC for Servo. It
is a hard and complex approach. I'm still a little bit sad that we can't
teach Rust to support GC types with a pluggable collector and integrate
Spidermonkey's (having taught Spidermonkey's to handle non-JS objects).

I believe that's becoming more plausible, actually, now that Azul's patches for late safepoints in LLVM are available. They will need work (for example, they only targeted Java, so Rust enums, which act like C unions, won't work without hacking), but there's a potential path forward here.

Patrick