Nelson B wrote:
I'd like to see an actual example of their 6-in-1 or "wildcard" certs
in use on the internet.

Thanks for confirming my guess. Unfortunately I haven't seen any "live" examples of Go Daddy "6-in-1" certificates. You'd think that Go Daddy would have helpfully provided an example site for prospective buyers, but apparently not. (To the contrary, Go Daddy doesn't even seem to be using this yet on their own sites; for a bit of amusement try going to <https://www.godaddy.net/> :-)

Go Daddy does have a FAQ that answers some more questions about the 6-in-1 certificates:

  http://help.godaddy.com/article_list.php?topic_id=246&&;

Note that they are restricting this specifically to the case where you have different TLD variants, e.g., foo.com, foo.org, foo.net, and so on. Like the restriction to six domains total, I presume that this restriction was done for marketing reasons, as it appears to me that the underlying implementation in NSS (and presumably in IE and other browsers) would actually permit multiple unrelated domain names to be used, e.g., foo.com, bar.net, baz.org, etc.

The more general capability would seem to be useful for the following cases where you have multiple domains all resolving to a single IP address (and hence a single web server instance):

* Supporting redirection of commonly misspelled domains back to the canonical domain, e.g., <https://www.exampel.com/> to <https://www.example.com/>.

* Supporting redirection of country-specific domain names back to a single global domain, e.g., <https://www.example.co.uk/> to <https://www.example.com/>.

There's also the very common case of supporting both plain example.com vs. www.example.com; I can't remember whether this can be handled using wildcarding or would need both domain names in the certificate.

In any case I'm surprised that more commercial CAs aren't supporting the issuance of SSL certificates that handle some of these common situations.

Frank

--
Frank Hecker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]