Rob Stradling wrote, On 2008-10-12 23:01:

> Nelson, does NSS ever attempt to check the revocation status of a built-in
> Root Certificate if that Root Certificate contains CRLDP(s) and/or OCSP
> URI(s) ?

Good question.  The answer is somewhat complex. :-/

As you may know, NSS has two separate bodies of code for building
certification paths and validating them.  Firefox uses both implementations
at different times.

The old one checks OCSP only for EE certs, and does CRL checks for any
certs issued by any CA for which it has a CRL, but does not automatically
fetch CRLs. So the answer to your question for the old implementation is: no.

The new one is capable of checking OCSP and CRLs at every level, and
eventually will have the ability to fetch CRLs when a CDP extension is
found in a cert.  With the new implementation, all this checking is under
the application's control, so that application can choose to do revocation
checking on CAs, or not, and can choose to do OCSP, or CRLs, or both, or
none. I would expect that when the application has told it to use both
revocation protocols on all certs (including CA certs) the code would
check revocation information for any cert that was both (a) not trusted,
and (b) not self-issued.  So I would expect that it would not check the
revocation status of any root CA cert, whether built in or not.
But I am not sure what it does.  I will attempt to investigate that.