A notary does not verify content, a notary verifies identity.

What we need is an opinion (hey!  using your own terminology, Ian,
that means AUDIT, and thus AUDITOR) that the document substantially
reflects the CP/CPS.  If not an auditor, who would you suggest to do
it, given that a notary isn't authoritative for opinions other than on
the signer having shown identity?

I think the entire CA approval process is completely FUBARed.  I think
Mozilla has managed to paint itself into a corner from which people
like Ian will not let it escape, and has thus been bullied and
intimidated into accepting things into its root program that are
analytically damaging to the PKI and the pursuit of commerce to be
enabled by it.  I also believe that it has allowed "commerce" to
define its operations and criteria for far too long.

-Kyle H