USB does actually have a PKCS#10 device reader profile.  If you were
to extend that by adding a generic "oh, it also has a device in a slot
that performs these functions" layer that was exposed through the
device-reader profile, it would be universal -- and universally
implemented in the platform itself.

-Kyle H