On 6/1/2012 4:55 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:
On 01/06/12 01:41, Asa Dotzler wrote:
On 5/31/2012 4:48 AM, Gervase Markham wrote:

What is wrong with the analogy between this facility (requiring
permission to link to an app) and requiring permission to link to a
website?

Installing an app is not the same thing as visiting a website.

It would help if you argued with what I said, not what I didn't say.

I am saying that for a website, triggering the install process for an
HTML app (which the user can, of course, cancel) is analogous to linking
to another website. I am describing from the point of view of the site.

Let's look at the addons model. You go to a store, and you click
"install", and an install is triggered. There is a restriction on who
can trigger such installs - but it's defined by the user agent, and
under the control of the user, not the developer. There is no field in
the XPI manifest which says "Hey, Firefox, please refuse to install this
XPI if the installTrigger call wasn't on this whitelist of sites". Who
the user trusts to trigger installs is under user control, not developer
control - which is all well and good, as Firefox is a user agent.

Should we be adding such a field to the XPI manifest, in the name of
developer empowerment?

Gerv

I'll have to think about the add-ons case some more but my immediate reaction is this. If we decide to re-thing add-on distribution to include multiple marketplaces as an important feature of the platform, then we might want to consider it.

- A