On 1 February 2015 at 11:16, Tim Guan-tin Chien <timdr...@mozilla.com>
wrote:

> Your use case doesn't necessary has to be fulfilled by packaged apps.
> Deployment can always be delegated to 3rd-parties instead of running
> your own server. Marketplace can certainly support anything other than
> a zip file if we decided too.

Exactly.

> The only use case that can be complex I could think of is peer-to-peer
> app sharing. These web apps installed w/o a direct connection to it's
> origin would need some way to authenticate, or we would have to again
> throw it into a sympathized sandboxed origin.

I understand the desire for these use cases, but if in sharing an app
directly from one device to another it loses its web identity (its HTTP
URL), then it has ceased to be a part of the web. I struggle to see how
that contributes to Mozilla's mission.

> That said, I too is not convinced Service Workers can fulfill
> everything we need as easily as we do today. We probably need to wrap
> it with some tooling or client library to make it more friendly.

I agree Service Workers are not quite as simple as packaged apps. Again,
good developer tools may help.