On Jan 21, 2014, at 1:15 PM, Jon Anstey <jans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So even skinning hawtio to be ASF compliant is not enough now??? Telling
> the hawtio devs to give all activemq related code over is WAY overzeolous
> IMHO. There are no ASF rules that say this must be done.
>
> I consider working with other open source communities to be a sign of a
> healthy community, not the other way around as you put it. Apache
> communities ARE NOT and SHOULD NOT be silos.

I COMPLETELY support working with other open source communities.  I’m also
completely in support for working with other closed source communities.   If
other communities have needs from ActiveMQ such as new API’s, new
functionality, etc… I’m more than happy to work with them to make sure what we
provide can meet their needs.   Better yet, I’d be more than happy to work with
them to help them become committers and PMC members here so THEY can make sure
ActiveMQ will meet their needs.

I’m also quite willing to provide fair and impartial links from the “third
party stuff” page on our website to the other communities.   I’m willing to say
“what we provide is pretty basic to get you started, there is likely better
stuff available elsewhere, see that page”.

I’m quite willing to use other open source projects to build solutions within
Apache and even push fixes and stuff back PROVIDING the functionality directly
related to the Apache project is part of the Apache project.  As an example:
CXF builds upon Spring.  It used to heavily build upon Spring, it’s quite a bit
more reduced now.  Spring was a good framework to chose to build upon.
However, the “Web Services” stuff is all in CXF.  The Namespace handlers to
extend Spring are all in CXF.   The beans to configure are all in CXF.

What I’m NOT OK with is handing over the development of the primary user
experience of an Apache project to a third party and then “endorsing” that as
the official way to do things by shipping it from Apache.  Note:  I’m OK with
handing it over and then NOT shipping/endorsing anything related to that kind
of user experience in Apache providing the PMC reaches a consensus that that is
OK.  In other words, no console is better than giving that up.   However, PMC
would need to agree that completely dropping the console is the best option for
the users.

As a USER, the current console, while basic, not HTML5, etc… is “adequate” for
basic usage.   Yes, hawt.io is faster, cleaner, sexier, etc… But the console
works for many of the basic needs.   I would personally prefer it over nothing.
  The fact that you’ve had a couple people ask “what can we do to help make it
better?” means this community has a means of attracting additional people.  It
surprises me a bit that people aren’t jumping on that.

Dan