> On Mar 26, 2015, at 2:42 PM, Hadrian Zbarcea <hzbar...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Perfect, but that was not the initial promise. What you suggest, David, can
> very well happen in the incubator.

Personally, I’d prefer it to be done here.   I completely agree with David’s
response.

In a separate community, it would be completely up to that community as to
weather any of the ActiveMQ migration ‘issues’ are important to address or not.
  Doing it here means that not only do we get to prioritize that, but we’d also
have (hopefully) the expertise to make sure those issues are addressed.  To me,
that’s the best way to make sure the “next” ActiveMQ is actually a better
ActiveMQ.

I don’t see why it cannot be "released" as  6.0.0-M1.   We can keep doing M#
versions until it gets to a point where the community feels it really is a
“reasonable drop in” replacement for AMQ5.   If it never gets there, fine.  If
it does, great!   If the community decides that going with an “enhanced” AMQ5
based thing for 6.0, we start doing M# based on that code until THAT is ready.
 Until the “6.0.0” final release is done, we have a lot of flexibility and
control.

From my perspective:  do I see ANY of the current AMQ5 contributors willing to
spend the time and effort to move the AMQ5 codebase forward to a completely new
and enhanced architecture and such?  No.   It hasn’t happened in the last 4
years, I’m not sure why it would happen now.  Except for Art, all of the most
“active contributors” have pretty much stated that the new AMQ6 codebase from
the grant is the better way forward.   That says a lot to me.   That said, if
they really believed that, I also would have expected some contributions from
those committers to the new code base and that hasn’t happened either.  So I DO
have a concern about that.

Anyway, those that are objecting to this being called “6.0.0-m1”:   what are
your proposals and thoughts about how the AMQ community can move forward?   Are
you guys going to take up all the new work like JMS2.0, core scalability, etc…?

And to those that like the idea of moving forward with the granted code:  are
you willing to start helping to add the missing features like the kahadb stuff
and OSGi support and basic web console and such?

Dan