My thinking on AIPs that have a PR is that a vote on the AIP is "is this
feature/design goal a good idea" but discussion about the code or merging the
pr can happen on GitHub as usual.

For example AIP-12 is an excellent Idea but there are a few questions to answer
about the design. (The author of the proposal also has an open PR).

 A bit of a thin distinction perhaps, but in the general case I was thinking
not a discussion on the PR.

Having written all that down I can see a workflow something like this:

- start AIP
- get loose consensus on list
- open PR
- call vote on AIP + that specific PR.

(That falls down if we want to open multiple PRs to complete an AIP)

-ash