Hi all,

I'm new to this Airflow Dev mailing list so I wasn't expecting to reply to
anything but I feel I am the target audience for this question. I am quite new
to airflow and have been setting up an airflow environment for my business this
last month.

I find the current "execution_date" a small technical burden and a large
cognitive burden. Our workflow is based on DAGs running at a specified time in
a specified timezone using the same date as the current calendar date.

I have worked around this by creating my own macro and context variables, with
the logic looking like this:
        airflow_execution_date = context['execution_date']
        dag_timezone = context['dag'].timezone
        local_execution_date = dag_timezone.convert(airflow_execution_date)
        local_cal_date = local_execution_date + datetime.timedelta(days=1)

As you can see this isn't a lot of technical effort, but having a date that 1)
is in the timezone the business users are working in, and 2) Is the same
calendar date the business users are working in it significantly reduces the
cognitive effort required to set-up tasks. Of course this doesn't help with
cron format scheduling which I just let the business give me the requirements
for and I set it up myself as the date logic there is still confusing as it
doesn't work like real cron scheduling which everyone is familiar with.

Maybe "period_start" and "period_end" might help people on Day 0 of
understanding Airflow get that the dates you are dealing with are not what you
expect, but Day 1+ there's still a lot of cognitive overhead if you don't have
the exact same model as AirBnb for running DAGs and tasks.

My 2 cents anyway,
Damian Shaw