You could start a [VOTE][PMC ONLY] thread on this topic (
https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html). Not sure if that's the best
Apache way of doing things, but seems fine to me. My PMC vote personally
would maybe be to switch the semantics to the opposite of what they are now
without having an additional config value, but since that's not very
realistic given the migration effort required by users I think a flag would
probably be worth the costs I mentioned in my previous email although it's
definitely a trade-off. Some kinds of new user/existing survey would
probably help collect data to support a decision but could be tough to
conduct.