Great discussion, let’s stay on track. If I can summarise:

  *   yesterday_ds, yesterday_ds_nodash, tomorrow_ds, tomorrow_ds_nodash
     *   Arthur: some users use these for convenience
     *   Bas/Fokko: these are values that can be easily derived in a one-liner

  *   tables
     *   nobody?

  *   latest_date
     *   Arthur: used by internal backfill framework at Airbnb, but no issue
removing them.

  *   inlets/outlets
     *   Arthur: still in development, could be guarded behind feature flag.

  *   end_date/END_DATE
     *   Arthur: used by internal backfill framework at Airbnb, but no issue
removing them.

And to add to the discussion:

  *   execution_date
     *   The meaning of execution_date is ambivalent and super confusing to
everybody because it’s not the date of execution.
     *   Suggestions to add period_start/period_end, or
interval_start/interval_end, or something like that, to provide datetime
variables for start & end datetime of a DAG run.
  *   Other:
     *   Removal of variables should be done in major version and deprecation
warnings should be added.

So how about the following:
- We start by putting deprecation warnings on tables, latest_date, end_date and
END_DATE and remove them in Airflow 2.0.
- We add a lineage_enabled config which is false by default and thus
inlets/outlets aren’t provided, unless set to true.
- We continue discussion about yesterday* and tomorrow*
- We continue discussion about clarification of execution_date and better named
variables such as something_start and something_end

Cheers,
Bas

On 11 Apr 2019, at 04:52, Maxime Beauchemin