(2) Usually to share directories between pods you need a ReadWriteMany (RWX)
volume plugin for your persistent volume. The easy answer is "just some kind of
NFS". Using GCE Persistent Disk/AWS EBS is ReadWriteOnce (one pod at a time).
Of course, you need some kind of NFS deployed to just use some kind of NFS.

Brian