Hi Jarek, thank you for your support on this effort!

For sure. One comment here. One of the ways we discussed with Kamil
> about the approach we want to take is to engage more people in
> implementing it - so Kamil would create a basic framework and we might
> have many people implementing and testing each endpoint separately.
> With Kaxil we are co-mentors in the Outreachyprogram and Airflow will
> have an intern paid by Outreachy helping with API development.
> Few Outreachy candidates recently started to contribute small tasks and
> we are going to select the intern at the beginning of April.

I think that's a fantastic idea. The more we can delegate and isolate tasks
the quicker we can move on this. Once we finish the migration to github
issues I'll be glad to help write up smaller tickets for each endpoint

We should provide some tools to migrate automatically (if possible) and
> asses the effort required to migrate and base our decision on tha

I think automatic migration tools are absolutely necessary and we can even
write system tests around those tools/use them for simultaneously testing
1.10 and 2.0

Of course, we should make our decision on our own based
> on what we hear, but I think 2 months for some of the Airflow users is not
> even
> enough time to start planning the migration. I'd say 6-12 months feels much
> more appropriate, but that's just feeling for now.

I agree especially for larger-scale users migrations are a difficult
process. Perhaps we can adopt something similar to a blockchain fork (e.g.
determine X known airflow using companies, and start the countdown as soon
as Y% of them migrate). I really just want to make sure we don't end up
with a python2/3 situation. Even if we continue support it should only be
for bugfixes and we should not add any new features into 1.10.

Absolutely. I think the system tests approach i kicked-off today might be
> the
> best way to ensure that the 2.0 "providers" part is battle-tested way
> before
> we release 2.0. This might make the whole migration process much
> smoother and faster.

I couldn't agree more :). If we can start people writing (close to) 2.0
compliant DAGs before the release of 2.0 that will make the migration
process so much easier :).

If there aren't any extra steps or features that we need to add (beyond the
ones discussed here), I think a good next step would be to create an
official checklist just so we can see all of these features in one place
(and hopefully start breaking them down into as small of changes as
possible).

Does that sound ok?