> I agree especially for larger-scale users migrations are a difficult
> process. Perhaps we can adopt something similar to a blockchain fork (e.g.
> determine X known airflow using companies, and start the countdown as soon
> as Y% of them migrate). I really just want to make sure we don't end up
> with a python2/3 situation. Even if we continue support it should only be
> for bugfixes and we should not add any new features into 1.10.

I think we are in perfect sync  - I think feature-migration should end
almost immediately after we release 2.0. But bug-fixing should continue
for quite some time. On that front - having backport packages will help
with releasing "integrations" quite independently from 1.10/2.0 version
(which I think is good for those who are - for this or another reason -
stuck on 2.0). On the other hand we should make sure that the important
stuff for 2.0 that is not "feature" is also backported to 1.10. For example
a lot of recent performance improvements that we have now in 2.0 will
be possible (and not that complex) to backport to 1.10. Some of this effort
is actually easier to do in 2.0 and then apply to 1.10 in similar fashion
as it is easier to understand and reason about the 2.0 code now when
we have some refactoring/pylints etc in place. So we should make sure
we get the latest 1.10 to a "good" state - before we freeze it for bugfix
only.
I know it might mean that some people will stay with 1.10 for longer, but
that's also OK for them. The reason to migrate to 2.0 should be not
performance but some important features (like API or HA) that come
with it.

I couldn't agree more :). If we can start people writing (close to) 2.0
> compliant DAGs before the release of 2.0 that will make the migration
> process so much easier :).

Yeah.  I even thought that we should write a
"How good your DAGs are for 2.0" assessment tool.

> If there aren't any extra steps or features that we need to add (beyond the
> ones discussed here), I think a good next step would be to create an
> official checklist just so we can see all of these features in one place
> (and hopefully start breaking them down into as small of changes as
> possible).
>
> Does that sound ok?

Perfectly OK for me!

> --