Forwarding the email from Matt, secretary of ASF:

Greetings,

The ASF is participating again in Outreachy, a program organized by
the Software Freedom Conservancy for mentoring people who are
under-represented in technology with internships working on open
source software doing software development, documentation writing,
data science work, design work, and other related tasks. Volunteers
from these OSS communities sign up to mentor these interns by
submitting project proposals [0][1][2]. For Apache, PMC members are
all welcome to apply; others who wish to mentor for a PMC should seek
lazy consensus from the specific PMC for that project to make sure the
PMC has no objection to that individual mentoring for them. Mentors
will also need to read and sign Outreachy's mentor agreement [3]. We
have funding secured for at least six interns, but if we end up with
more strong applicants than that, Outreachy sometimes allows
additional interns from their general funding.

*Important dates*:

24 Sep 2020: ***last day to submit project proposals***
01 Oct 2020: contribution period begins for applicants
31 Oct 2020: contribution period ends
?? Nov 2020: intern selections
23 Nov 2020: interns announced
01 Dec 2020: internship begins