in the previous description we jumped straight to "labels" but
I believe (and that might be a good point to discuss with the current
triagers and committers) that labeling of priorities/etc. should be
somewhat "last" point of the triaging. We rarely (if at all) look at
those labels and IMHO there are many things triager can do long before
assigning the labels - closing an issue, @-mentioning others,
assigning "good first issue" label,  asking for extra information (and
assigning "pending-response" label), converting to a discussion,
assigning next patchlevel release as a milestone - those are all the
actions that are very well embedded in our process and they will
guarantee an almost-automated follow-up and that the issue will be
eventually "acted upon". Those actions I mentioned are taken from
actual actions we've been taking in practice.

These are exactly the types of things I've found myself doing while triaging
and I agree they are massively more helpful than just adding labels alone. And
speaking which, to your question, IMHO the labels are best used for issue
discovery and sorting. Folks can use them to find open issues they'd like to
work on in a particular area, which I think is helpful, especially around
providers. I find myself doing this, but I have no data to prove others are
also doing it. Overall, I don't feel too strongly, if the majority opinion is
that they're just adding noise, then I'd be happy to vote to get rid of them.

Cheers,
Niko