Hi Daniel,

Thank you for following up with the assessment. That’s an incredibly valuable
data point.

I know we may have some opportunity to talk about this topic more at the summit
this week, but just for the sake of offering a reference of the other
perspective, I would like to share this blog post where another user describes
the SLA feature with the following words: ‘In Airflow’s context, SLA can be
seen as “for how long your DAG can run before you need to do something about
it”https://poatek.com/2022/10/19/how-to-fix-airflow-sla/

Which highlights the desire to use the SLA feature for the purpose of delay
detection, as a soft timeout that does not kill the task and simply executes
the defined callback.

If what you say is true, and there are indeed folks hoping to use the SLA
defined on Airflow for bookkeeping the accurate count of SLA misses because
they don’t want to do it outside of it, than I think it will be important for
us to discuss at length and decide which of these two motivations we are
prioritizing when finalizing the design of the next ‘SLA Feature’. Again, I
feel that it is much more simple of an endeavor if we drop the sense of urgency
if we are designing for accuracy, and vice versa.

Or maybe we are better off having two separate implementations for the two -
one that prioritizes urgency, and one that prioritizes accuracy in hindsight.
And we can also continue to discuss at length what the difficulty is in trying
to achieve both within a single feature as well.

Sent from my iPhone