Hi,

The standard problem with any kind of refactoring is the backward compatibility requirement on source code level. There are a lot of constructs we'd like to remove, but upto now we have always weighted backward compatibility - even on source code level - over removing those.

Martijn

Kev Jackson wrote:

Hi

I've been playing with darcs recently and I've almost finished an antlib for it (though I keep being distracted, first Haskell, now Lisp....).

'darcs get' is roughly similar to 'cvs checkout' or 'svn co'

I was wondering if it would make sense to refactor the SCM tasks into an interface (scm) and have a set of antlibs that implement that interface in a vendor specific manner. Such that

<scm command="commit">

is handled appropriately by each SCM system in it's own way, whilst at the same time exposing a common API to simplify this (very common) set of tasks. I'm thinking it'd be similar to how the <javac> task simplifies compiling regardless of which compiler you want to use.

Is this:
a - a stupid idea and a colossal waste of time
b - a not too stupid idea, but still a colossal waste of time
c - not stupid, a colossal waste of time, but it'd be worth doing anyway
d - none of the above

Kev