On Monday 05 December 2016 01:25 PM, Jan Matèrne (jhm) wrote:
We see Ivy as a widely used component. We use archiving some components to
recalibrate our focus.
I don't think that we want to archive Ivy in the near future. Instead we try to
push Ivy.

If you want to help with Ivy, you're welcome.
I have tried more than once (in this very own mailing list), but without someone who "owns" the project and has the time and dedication to develop and release the project, the questions/efforts have gone no where.

"It's already a challenge to stick with Ivy build system itself given the lack of
fixes/releases/responses."
What are the problems you think are resolved with new Ivy releases?
Right now I don't have specific bugs that are open that impact me or the project I use. I do have some enhancements that I would like to be done. But the real issue I have with the Ivy project is, its development has practically gone stagnant. I have been watching the JIRA reports (there are some open issue for over a year which are big ones) and have been watching the mailing list and based on that, my opinion is that Ivy is no longer being developed. When there's no community around a project and the fact that there have been no releases (last one was 2 years back http://ant.apache.org/ivy/history/2.4.0/release-notes.html) for a while or any indication that there will be one anytime, it's hard to rationalize using that project (as critical as a build system).

I can understand that projects have a lifetime and it's reasonable to expect that after a certain period it may no longer be feasible to put in efforts into it. I don't know if that's the case with Ivy. But every time I ask about the roadmap/future, the answer seems to suggest that it does have a future. However, with more than a year since I last asked this question (in this mailing list) and with no real development or releases during that period, I don't believe that's the case.

-Jaikiran

Jan

-----Ursprüngliche Nachricht-----
Von: Jaikiran Pai [mailto:jai.forums2...@gmail.com]
Gesendet: Montag, 5. Dezember 2016 08:26
An: dev@ant.apache.org
Betreff: Ivy - any future or is it also going to be retired?

I have been following the latest emails on retiring sub projects in
Ant.
I just see a proposal to retire IvyDE (the Eclipse plugin) for valid
reasons (given the lack of any real activity in there). Given this, I
would like to understand what the future of Ivy project itself is. I
have asked this more than once previously in the dev mailing list
during the past year or so and any efforts in reviving the project,
which IMO has seen no real activity. I have even tried contacting some
of the dev team members to try and see if I can help in any way to keep
it active.
But unfortunately, that hasn't generated any kind of changes. There's
been no real code changes, bug fixes or any consistent
help/communication when it comes to user issues.

I would like to see some official word on what the future is for Ivy
itself. Is it going to be retired too? Seeing that IvyDE itself is
being proposed for retirement and the only other IDE plugin is a
IntelliJ one (that I know of), asking (some of our internal users) to
continue using Ivy is going to be challenge. It's already a challenge
to stick with Ivy build system itself given the lack of
fixes/releases/responses. If there's an official word on where it
stands in terms of projects goals, we can officially move to a
different build system.

-Jaikiran