On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 21:02, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:

> On 2018-10-28, Gintautas Grigelionis wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Oct 2018 at 20:23, Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> >> I guess I need to create a branch to either convince you it is possible
> >> or convince me that it is not :-)
>
> > No branch is necessary, just  activate launcher tests; the effect will be
> > the same.
>
> I'm afraid I can't follow you.
>
> What breaks in the remove-tests-constants-from-main-tree?
>
> > It is not a matter of test harness, either. It is a matter of
> > documentation and proper dependency management.
>
> > I'm only using a different tool to highlight the importance of the
> > latter (as far as running tests is concerned, anyway :-)
>
> And because of above I probably don't understand what you mean here
> either.

What I meant is the following: anyone who wishes to see the effect of test
dependencies
can replace the bogus directory "testcases" with the correct directory
"tests/junit" in
src/etc/poms/ant-launcher/pom.xml (line 77, the definition of
testSourceDirectory property).
Then run "mvn -f src/etc/poms/pom.xml clean package" (what Jenkins does).

If test constants are removed from main, then Ant core must build yet
another jar containing
test constants which would be a compile dependency for the code in
ant-testutil, because
Ant core in itself will not suffice. It is possible to cook such a jar file
using a Maven qualifier,
and it will pollute every build in the world which chooses to use Ant core.
As the saying over here
goes, "plague or cholera".

Gintas