Laurent Godard wrote:

> i red rapidelly but is it possible to implement the reactors of objects
> in Basic ?It seems to me that Paolo already asked something like this, no ?
>
> a way could be a generic service taking the macro name as argument and
> doing a transparent relay. Would it be difficult to do ? i do not think  so

We could provide a generic "DispatchObject" Service that implements the
css.frame.XDispatch interface. This interface allows the UI element it
is bound to to execute its bound command or query for the new interfaces
created by Carsten for the new callbacks, so this generic object will
also implement all these nice new interfaces just to forward to macros.

For this purpose each of these callbacks ("dispatch()" being the
simplest) will be transferred to a corresponding event and through an
event binding interface the object allows to bind a macro to them.

The tricky parts are that the macros need a defined signature for each
of the callback macros and that we must be able to hand over different
kinds of parameters to the macros. The first is only "not nice" (wrong
macro bindings might lead to a crash), but for the second I'm not sure
wether we can do this. We have to check this with Andreas Bregas.

Perhaps instead of macro event bindings we could use listeners as Basic
is able to implement them? But I'm not sure wether listeners implemented
in Basic will "survive" the termination of the macro that registers
them. But you or Paolo as Basic experts know, I assume. ;-)

There still is the other way around: once a UI element gets a dispatch
object it will register at it as a css.frame.XStatusEventListener and
expects to receive status events. Thew new controls don't make any sense
without providing proper status information.

The macro code must be able to provide this information and it must be
able to *update* it when needed. So each created dispatch object must be
accessible somehow later to send a new status. This means: you must
store the information for this somewhere, you can't store it in
variables in your basic code because you shouldn't have your macro
running permanently by using a busy loop. So where should the data go?

You see: a lot of questions to answer. But not impossible. :-)
Perhaps it would help if you ore Paolo could describe a possible use
case where you would like to use the new toolbar control features in
basic code.

Best regards,

Please reply to the list only, [EMAIL PROTECTED] is a spam sink.

  • Re: [... Mathias Bauer
    • ... Laurent Godard
      • ... Mathias Bauer
        • ... Laurent Godard
          • ... Mathias Bauer
      • ... Paolo Mantovani
        • ... Mathias Bauer
          • ... Laurent Godard
            • ... Mathias Bauer
    • ... Paolo Mantovani
    • ... Carsten Driesner - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg - Software Engineer