G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
On Tue, 2006-09-26 at 13:48 +0200, Laurent Godard wrote:
Hi

I agree. One problem though, the documentation project does not have the
source documents so it is unlikely that the documents in the issues will
ever be updated. Perhaps the component on the issues is wrong.
that is wrong we are working on updates frequently, if the issue hasn't the correct component please simply change it and send it to me.

this is a real problem

moreover, a lot of enhancements could be done such as
- translation
- give examples in other programming language

Laurent

Let me throw out a proposal for consideration.  The doc project is more
that willing to take on maintenance and enhancement of the existing set
of documents. Why? Because we have manpower with the technical chops and
because we see that projects, like api, are swamped with other tasks
making the docs take a back seat. I can probably think of other reasons
why the api project might like to shift the burden but, suffice to say,
the reasons I have given are likely enough to start a dialogue.

Think about it, please, and let Scott or I know whether or not to pursue
this idea.

the issue isn't new and again we are working it. The question is not if we opensource the guide but rather how will do it and you should simply accept the fact that it will take some time. Before you ask us again and again you can also ask other authors if they are willing to opensource their books.

Juergen