G. Roderick Singleton wrote:
On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 08:27 +0200, Mathias Bauer wrote:
G. Roderick Singleton wrote:

WHat is this? I gather from your comments that the guide is proprietary.
If this is the case then perhaps it is time for the OOo folk to think
about having one of their own. Certainly an incentive for a project.
Thanks.
It seems that you don't know all the facts, so let me explain them to you.

Jürgen is already working on this matter for quite some time. It takes
this time, for whatever reasons. Especially Jürgen is one of the
greatest advocates of open sourcing the DevGuide, but giving something
into open source is not just throwing it out and shouting "come and get
it".

Did I say anything about "come and get it¨? No. What I proposed was that
this document could be handled in the doc project.
I can understand that Jürgen is a little bit upset about Laurents
question because it was already answered several times, and the answer
always was: we (the authors) would like to open source it but it's not
that easy, please be patient.

Actually I think he reacted so strongly to my comment on the component
perhaps being incorrect. The doc project does not have the source for
the document but the issue shows up in our queue. I thought that we
might help.

no, the component is trivial. You know the DevGuide is currently hosted in the api project and the description on http://api.openoffice.org/DevelopersGuide/DevelopersGuide.html explains how to submit issues for the DevGuide. So if an issue (related to the DevGuide) appear in the documentation project please simply send it to me.

Sorry that my comment sounded strongly, it was simply the fact that people ask again and again for the DevGuide and we are still working on way to open source the guide.

And yes, when we will open source the guide it will either be integrated in the wiki or it should become part of the documentation project.

OTOH if anybody else wants to create a new DevGuide nobody will complain
against this (provided that its quality would be sufficient). We have no
commercial interest in the DevGuide.

You know this might not be a bad idea. I will ask to see if any are
interested. What with the contest, I do not expect a swift response but
who knows.
go ahead but you shouldn't expect to much. The current DevGuide has over 1200 pages and is still not complete. The guide is to big and needs to be split in smaller parts and even this is work enough. Look for example the missing chapter for the Python language binding. People often complained about it but nobody ever wrote a chapter for the DevGuide or at least wrote a standalone document. Even for the DevGuide chapter we have offered a complete linguistic review from professionals but nothing happens.

Juergen

So please let's not discuss about something that probably won't happen
ever. Thanks.

Okay. Forget it was mentioned.