As it appears that no one has currently the time to investigate this further I' d like to take up your suggestion to put together a simple test case. You could then submit an issue with the test case attached. This way it will not be forgotten. If you decide to do so you can set the owner to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thanks,
Joachim

JV wrote:
Kay

I suspect that OOo is in some way doing something which demands access to the
desktop. It's not a visible desktop thing so maybe there's some kind of
invisible window that OOo is relying on. Or maybe it's iterating through
there actually is an invisible window used inside VCL. This window is used to forward messages to the "main" thread, to ensure that all window creations and message related functions are called in this thread.

Are applications running under a non-interactive user account forbidden to create windows?

This is my understanding which may not be correct.

There is a kind of virtual desktop called a Window Station associated with each logged on user.

Only one can be interactive at any time. This is the one you see which gets keyboard and mouse events.

Others can exist and can hold windows it's just that you can't see them.

However you can also assign permissions to these Window Stations which prohibit certain kinds of operations - like creating windows.

This is what I - think - the problem is. I think it's the permissions rather than the virtual nature of the game.

If OOo was a Visual Studio project I would have just compiled it up and debugged it. However I'm just not sure I am capable of learning to use a different compiler and debugger to debug a complex situation in any reasonable time frame.

If anyone is interested I am quite happy to put together a test case that demonstrates the issue.

Best Wishes

Jos