On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, dean gaudet wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>
> > Yup.  I've brought this up to Sander and David before, but this is how
> > pools
>
> woah.  no way really?
>
> that's not at all how it was in 1.3 or in early 2.0 ...
>
> in 2.0 as of uh a year ago say, there was one free list per process,
> and locks were used to access it.

i checked -- top of tree pools still behaves almost like 1.3.  so i'm not
sure why you're claiming the pools would go up through the ancestors for
an allocation.

apr_palloc first tries the simple pointer arithmetic fast path, and if
that fails it calls new_block() which accesses the process-global
block_freelist (from inside an alloc_mutex critical section).

-dean