On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 10:34:22AM -0700, Jon Travis wrote:
> There is still all this tomfoolery with locking, though, which I think
> would be nice to fix with different sized buckets in the freelist.
> Stuff that the malloc in glibc does.  I cringe at the thought of how
> much overhead due to abstraction this whole project is causing.

Well, most of the tomfoolery goes away when the free-list is per thread.
No need for locking then.

I think that this gets us better performance in a threaded environment
than the current apr_pools.c - which has a per-process global list.
The key is the allocation algorithm needs to take that into account
(at this point, trivial isn't).  In order to truly support a threaded
environment, the free-lists need to become per-thread.  With this
abstraction, that *is* much easier.  We're not there yet, but we're
laying the groundwork to do so.  -- justin