At 07:34 PM 7/11/2002, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

Not quite opaque in that you can still compute deltas via a
subtraction, but that to understand the quantities, you must place
it through a function/macro.  Brian has already converted httpd
to this model.  -- justin

OK... after much hand waving today... #apr channel folks have come up with an interesting idea that might make all happy.

IF we adopt apr_butime_t to represent a time (epoch 1.1.1970) and
also adopt apr_busec_t to represent any interval, timeout or other
delta (not rooted to an epoch) ... both declared as 64bit values, would
that satisfy everyone?

AND if we create apr_busec_short_t to represent <34 min 8 sec, which
is the precision of a 32 bit signed busec value, we could replace the
old apr_interval_t.

This isn't a consensus just yet, please comment on your thoughts.

BTW: to Roy Fielding; consider that these types are simply unions to
the struct;

    int sec:44
    int busec:20

Which is more compact, yet the same sort of structure you desired.
What your compiler does with this is anyone's guess :-)

Bill