Hi Bill,
Am 14.03.2011 18:39, schrieb William A. Rowe Jr.:
On 3/14/2011 12:32 PM, Bert Huijben wrote:

Any application that uses apr_filepath_merge() to get an absolute pathfrom a
relative path is broken.... but only if the current directory before starting
the application is based on a lower case drive letter.

This is not a common condition, but this patch just fixes that specific error
condition.

It doesn't alter the comparison of paths.... It fixes an API bug.

Yea, I think that apr_filepath_merge() and apr_filepath_get() are at the
root of this real issue, and that the result, not the comparison, was
what was broken.  I have no real interest in ensuring that the path
name manipulation in your test remains valid, but we agree there is an
underlying, real issue here.  I've seen 16 bit apps do similar things
to corrupt the current path, and am looking at both cases together.
I think since we agree that we have a bug with APR + we have a working fix for it we should go with the fix and backport it to all branches for now. Sure I agree with you that we should always look for root causes rather than intruducing workarounds - but what I not agree is to veto working fixes and delaying upcoming releases. Look, we had last release 2010-04-03, and in few days that means one year back! I strongly hope that we get this release now out before the year is full, and that are only few days! You can at any time later look for a better fix which covers more error cases, and we casn do another release in 2 months, but its not ok that we always hold back for these and that and keep fixes in trunk only. For others the time moves on, and our end users / consumers use releases rather than trunk code, and its not ok to do releases that seldom, and even more not ok that we then get in releases rushes and release APR, APU and two httpds at same time. Jeff has proposed to release now for 2nd time (last time was before christmas when I asked for), and we should this time get the babe out soon, and before we get next httpd release where Jim is urging for.

And BTW I would really like to see a more regulary release intervall, f.e. at least all 4 months - regardless if we have only 1 fix since last release, or 100.

My 3ct.

Gün.