As long as it properly fixes the testcase added with this patch, I really don't
mind a better fix.

Normally you get in this state before starting the application that uses Apr;
not from inside the application (see the original thread from November 2009).
So getting in the error state is not an application error!
But reproducing it that way would require a more extensive test.

        Bert