On Sat, Apr 2, 2011 at 10:30 AM, Guenter Knauf <fua...@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
> Am 02.04.2011 15:50, schrieb traw...@apache.org:
>>
>> +dnl If building static APR, both the APR build and the app build
>> +dnl need -DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC to generate the right linkage from
>> +dnl APR_DECLARE et al.
>> +dnl If building dynamic APR, the APR build needs APR_DECLARE_EXPORT
>> +dnl and the app build should have neither define.
>> +
>> +    *-mingw* | *-cygwin*)
>> +    if test "$enable_shared" = "yes"; then
>> +        APR_ADDTO(INTERNAL_CPPFLAGS, -DAPR_DECLARE_EXPORT)
>> +    else
>> +        APR_ADDTO(CPPFLAGS, -DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC)
>> +    fi
>> +    ;;
>>  esac
>
> hmmmm; without having this tested yet - wouldnt this require that the whole
> build uses two passes? What if you use:
> ./configure --shared --static

If you want both static and dynamic:

* two builds in two passes of APR
* further hacks to allow the two builds to be co-resident in the
install location, since apr-2-config needs to know whether or not to
spit out APR_DECLARE_STATIC in CPPFLAGS (and possibly other,
uninvestigated glitches to resolved)

So yes, at present you get a dynamic build by default, and if you want
a static build you need to add --disabled-shared as well to avoid
current glitches.

> I've meanwhile created a static makefile which does exactly this, and
> therefore needs compile go with -DAPR_DECLARE_STATIC for creating the static
> lib, and another with -DAPR_DECLARE_EXPORT for creating the DLL ...

I'm not sure what you mean by that static makefile.  Something that
drives the configure+make+make-install twice?