On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 3:21 PM Jorge Cardoso Leitão
<jorgecarlei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Krisztian,
>
> Could you describe which flows you are referring to?
>
> Rust builds are taking 4-6m on non-(windows/mac) and 8-15m on windows/mac,
> with almost immediate feedback. E.g. I force-pushed recently
> https://github.com/apache/arrow/pull/9089 and the first complete test came
> 5m later.
On the actions page I see builds with 30m queue time:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/actions

> One hypothesis is that, on personal repos, many builds are being triggered
> when any change happens. On my repo, R
> <https://github.com/jorgecarleitao/arrow/actions/runs/463436428>, Python
> <https://github.com/jorgecarleitao/arrow/actions/runs/463436416>, C++
> <https://github.com/jorgecarleitao/arrow/actions/runs/463436422>, Java JNI
> <https://github.com/jorgecarleitao/arrow/actions/runs/463436419>, C GLib
> and Ruby <https://github.com/jorgecarleitao/arrow/actions/runs/463436420>
> jobs ran when a Rust-only change was force pushed into a branch.
I'm not sure what could we do against it, but it could worth some investigation.

> Another hypothesis is that there are too many builds being triggered with a
> blanket `ci/*`, which covers all languages, and thus, when changing the
> comment bot, they all get triggered.
I think we improved that, see the cpp paths as an example:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/.github/workflows/cpp.yml#L22

> What I usually do when playing with builds that can't be tested on my
> personal repo (e.g. because they require credentials), is to delete all
> unrelated workflows during testing, and then checkout them when the PR is
> ready. A bit hackish I must say, but works.
To prevent triggering the upstream builds you can add `WIP` to the PR's title:
https://github.com/apache/arrow/blob/master/.github/workflows/cpp.yml#L52