+1

Run quickstart with Apex runner in embedded mode and on YARN.

It needed couple tweaks to get there though.

1) Change quickstart pom.xml apex-runner profile:

        <!--
          Apex 3.6 is built against YARN 2.6. For this fat jar, the
included version has to match what's on the cluster,
          hence we need to repeat the Apex Hadoop dependencies at the
required version here.
        -->
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
          <artifactId>hadoop-yarn-client</artifactId>
          <version>${hadoop.version}</version>
          <scope>runtime</scope>
        </dependency>
        <dependency>
          <groupId>org.apache.hadoop</groupId>
          <artifactId>hadoop-common</artifactId>
          <version>${hadoop.version}</version>
          <scope>runtime</scope>
        </dependency>

2) After copying the fat jar to the cluster:

java -cp word-count-beam-bundled-0.1.jar org.apache.beam.examples.WordCount
\
     --inputFile=file:///tmp/input.txt --output=/tmp/counts
--embeddedExecution=false --configFile=beam-runners-apex.properties
--runner=ApexRunner

(this was on a single node cluster, hence the local file path)

The quickstart instructions suggest to use *mvn exec:java* instead of *java*
- it generally isn't valid to assume that mvn and a build environment
exists on the edge node of a YARN cluster.