On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 10:36 AM Alexey Romanenko <aromanenko....@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> A quick question about our mailing lists policy.
>
> Quite often I see that people tend to send the user-related questions to
> dev@. For example: [1], [2] and many similar ones.
>
> I believe it’s a bad practice since it's mixing up with other dev-related
> threads and makes it difficult to search for similar questions in the
> future (since it’s expecting to be asked on user@).

I agree with you.

> What do you think should be the right behaviour for managing such emails?
> Forward this email to user@ (and remove dev@ address from copy) and ask
> politely to continue a discussion there? I tried it several times but
> sometimes it happened that discussion was "forked” and continued in two
> different lists which is even worse, imho.

I like your proposal but I do share the same concern of forked threads. One
suggestion, instead of forking the thread we can ask users to ask on user@
list next time and still answer the question in the original thread.
Hopefully that can reinforce good habits over time.

> Anything else? What do you believe should work better in such cases (maybe
> some experience for other projects)?

I wonder if there is a reason for people to ask on dev@ instead of user@?
Web site instructions look pretty clear to me. There is a good amount of
activity and engagement on user@ list as well. I am not sure about why
users pick one list over another.