As a frequent emailer of dev@, I'll admit that it's often very difficult to
figure out if I should be emailing user@ or dev@, and typically just chose
dev@ because it seems more likely to get an answer there.  Having clearer
guidelines around what is a "dev" topic would be very useful to better
guide people towards the correct list.

An example here was my recent email about schemas. [1]  Should this have
gone to users@?  I count myself as a "developer" so I feel like it fits
into "developer and contributor discussions", but I can certainly also see
how it would fit into "general discussions" for users@ as well.

[1]
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r881ab4d0ccbc7dc2e8c478f9b68b18b313f3740b419fdf7e91a17a83%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E