I am in the same boat: I'm subscribed to both but the dev@ ones are more
visible to me. That being said, I do think it's valuable to have segregated
discussion (otherwise why have two lists), and "lurkers" on users@ can
learn from questions answered there.

I would say that it is on us to redirect traffic to the correct place if we
want to effect a change. Forking the conversation is a problem, but enough
people have answered this thread (and likely many more have read it) that
if we consciously set a convention we should be able to follow it. This
could be as simple as responding to such queries as "I am forwarding your
email to users@ [and will answer it there]" and not responding to threads
that have been resolved as such.

+1 to Kenn's idea about explicitly calling out dev@ as the forum for those
interested in contributing to beam. (This can be community/design
contributions of course.)