> On 10 Mar 2021, at 22:13, Onur Ozer <sametoze...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> One of the sample mails belongs to me, sorry for that. I thought the dev list
> was a better place. Will ask similar to the other list as well.

Onur,
Well, I just picked up a random example of one of the latest emails, that, I
believe, should be addressed to user@.
So no worries on this =) and thank you for a good question!

> On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:13 PM Steve Niemitz <sniem...@apache.org
> <mailto:sniem...@apache.org>> wrote:
> As a frequent emailer of dev@, I'll admit that it's often very difficult to
> figure out if I should be emailing user@ or dev@, and typically just chose
> dev@ because it seems more likely to get an answer there.  Having clearer
> guidelines around what is a "dev" topic would be very useful to better guide
> people towards the correct list.
>
> An example here was my recent email about schemas. [1]  Should this have gone
> to users@?  I count myself as a "developer" so I feel like it fits into
> "developer and contributor discussions", but I can certainly also see how it
> would fit into "general discussions" for users@ as well.
>
> [1]
> https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r881ab4d0ccbc7dc2e8c478f9b68b18b313f3740b419fdf7e91a17a83%40%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E
>
> <https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/r881ab4d0ccbc7dc2e8c478f9b68b18b313f3740b419fdf7e91a17a83@%3Cdev.beam.apache.org%3E>
Steve,
I think your question is somewhere between these 2 lists =) Since, on the one
hand, it’s more about some specific user’s problem, but, on the other hand, it
probably requires some internal dev knowledge to answer it. Personally, I’d
send it to user@, but it’s a tricky example - so any is fine, imho .

I agree, that we don’t have strict borders and rules to decide where a question
should go and sometimes, as an example above, it’s not so obvious, but I think
we can improve the description of both lists on web site to make it more clear
for new users.