Hi folks,

I'd like to discuss the target distros for the next 1.5.0 release [1],
because over 1.5 years have passed since Ubuntu 18.04 was released
and the next LTS will be released within half a year. In addition,
Fedora 26 and openSUSE 42.3 have already been EOL'd.

(I understand the "Cloud Native Bigtop" project is going on
and am really looking forward to it, but my customers still requires
the traditional software stack :)

Based on the past discussion [2], here's my proposal:

- Add Debian 10, Fedora 31 and Ubuntu 18.04 as the target distros
  and use the puppet package provided by each distro, so that
  we can support all CPU architectures (x86_64, aarch64, and ppc64le).
  Their puppet versions are 5.4.0 (ubuntu) and 5.5.10 (debian and fedora).

  Keep Debian 9 and Ubuntu 16.04 since they are still in the support period.

  Drop Fedora 26 since it has reached to the EOL on 2018-05-29.

- Add CentOS 8. Unfortunately, that version doesn't seem to
  provide the distro's puppet package, even including EPEL.
  Even though, I'd like to support it since that distro
  (and RHEL8) are widely used especially in enterprise systems.
  So, as the next best option, how about using Puppet 5.5 provided by
  Puppetlabs and only supporting the x86_64 architecture on this version?

  Keep CentOS 7 since it's still in the support period.

- Drop openSUSE 42.3 since it has reached to the EOL on 2019-07-01
  and don't add a new version of that distro, as discussed in [2].

To summarize the above, the supported distros and their versions
in the 1.5.0 release are as follows:

- CentOS 7, 8 (8 is only supported on x86_64)
- Debian 9, 10
- Fedora 31
- Ubuntu 16.04, 18.04

Does this sound reasonable? I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions.

(Honestly, I'd actually like to drop CentOS 7, Debian 9, and Ubuntu 16.04,
so that we can consolidate the Puppet version to 5.x.
But it may be too aggressive for users.)

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/BIGTOP-3123
[2]:
https://lists.apache.org/thread.html/26e14cf36e9cfd61e0de581ed83bf305565c2e65234f1ce3bfb97628@%3Cdev.bigtop.apache.org%3E

Kengo Seki <sek...@apache.org>