I do think it would have been more productive if this discussion had
happened earlier. I generally expect for non-trivial PRs that the first
version have issues (certainly most/all of mine do.) As committers/PMC
members, we do have a role as gatekeepers and we shouldn't merge PRs with
issues. But the default in those cases should hopefully be to work with the
original contributor to make any necessary changes or in some cases explain
why the PR is likely to never be merged (because of some inherent issue to
the approach).

Unfortunately, this often takes more time and effort than just fixing
things ourselves, but that's part of what's necessary for building a
healthy and sustainable open source project.

--
Michael Mior
mm...@apache.org