My thought was that the least that should be done is post a note that the
issue has been fixed. However (others can correct me if I'm wrong), it
seems that you did do this before Zoltan sent out his earlier email. In any
case, while it's true that both of the issue and the PR were "inactive", I
see the last activity on both of those before the period of inactivity was
by Zoltan. I don't see this as a case of the issue being abandoned. When
there's no response from a contributor, developing and committing an
alternate fix seems reasonable.

In this case, it seems like Zoltan was still willing to help provide a
solution so I don't think it's appropriate to ignore the work he put in
which seems to be what happened. One of the other side effects in this case
seems to be (without having examined the technical merit of either
solution) that the fix which was ultimately committed still didn't solve
the original issue.

--
Michael Mior
mm...@apache.org