Thanks for clarifying. It seems like this is a case where there's a broader
discussion to be had about the merits of the optimization (completely
separate from the issue at hand).

1) I'm not opposed to developing a fix that's better than one which was
already proposed although I think it would be good to run it by whoever
originally filed the issue.
2) I think "backward" here is subjective. I'm not picking a side here, but
certainly there are cases where disabling a buggy optimization is the right
thing to do.
3) Developing a different fix may sometimes be the right thing to do, but I
think other contributors would appreciate a discussion before their code is
effectively ignored.

--
Michael Mior
mm...@apache.org