> So, can I summarize our policy as "git pull --rebase"?

If you're talking about the simple case of hacking away at a branch
that multiple people are working on, without "semantically" desiring,
a branch, than IMO *always* use to --rebase. Here's my stackoverflow
rant about why:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2472254/when-should-i-use-git-pull-rebase/4675513#4675513

I think that should apply to Cassandra too. It's all about what you're
trying to do, and doing git pull w/o rebase when just happily hacking
along without any intent to diverge history, just leaves a completely
soiled history due to git's default of a merge commit on pull.

But that's very distinct from cases where you actually *do* have a
branch (publicly speaking).

Sorry, I don't want to pollute this discussion too much. I just have
this pet peeve about the specific issue of "git pull" vs "git pull
--rebase" in the simple hacking-away-at-a-single-branch case.

--
/ Peter Schuller (@scode, http://worldmodscode.wordpress.com)