Your analysis makes a lot of sense to me.

> 1. This is the most important and at the same time the hardest issue to
> solve because committers in fact have limited bandwidth and are generally
> working on larger impact items. Nevertheless we must understand the
> importance of attracting new contributors to the project in order to
> increase the contributor pool and diversity. So I think committers and
> organizations must spare some of their bandwidth to ensure tickets from new
> contributors are reviewed and given feedback in a timely manner. I also
> think that we could set up a slack bot to alert #cassandra-dev periodically
> when there are patch available tickets without reviewers to bring attention
> to those.

Should we have a JIRA board to track the patch available and in review LHF
fruit tickets? We could monitor it and make sure that reviews are addressed
in a reasonable time frame.

  2. I think we need to define clear guidelines of what is a low hanging
> fruit ticket and document it, since the interpretation can vary wildly
> depending on who files the ticket. I also think we need to add one
> additional complexity type "Easy" in between "LHF" and "Normal" tickets, to
> avoid people tagging easy tickets as LHF tickets, since "LHF" tickets are
> easy ticket for new contributors, while "Easy" tickets would be easy
> tickets for existing contributors.

 Using an "Easy" sound like a good idea. My feeling regarding "LHF" tickets
is similar to yours. I was wondering if we should not go through our LHF
tickets and enhance the description with some overall plan of how the
problem can be addressed (I volunteer for that). If we have trouble coming
up with a simple plan, it might mean that it is not a true LHF.
We could also add a mentor on the ticket that the person can reach out if
it needs to. I believe that Ekaterina and Berenguer would be happy to help
there.
What do you think?

3. I think we need better guidelines and documentation on how to file
> tickets with well defined descriptions and scope (or explicitly mention
> when scope is unclear), to ensure we have better consistency between
> different ticket definitions.

+1

4. For this I think the workflow proposed on the JIRA Ticket Hygiene thread
> [1] will be helpful.

Thanks for taking care of that :-)