One thing we've done in the past is contributor bootcamps along with the the
new contributor guide and the LHF complexity tickets.  Unfortunately, I don't
know that the contributor bootcamps were ever recorded.  Presentations were
done to introduce people to the codebase generally (I think Gary did this at
one point) as well as specific parts of the codebase, such as compaction.  What
if we broke up the codebase into categories and people could volunteer to do a
short introduction to that part of the codebase in the form of a video
screenshare.  I don't think this would take the place of mentoring someone, but
if we had introductions to different parts of the codebase, I think it would
lower the bar for interested contributors and scale the existing group more
easily.  Besides the codebase itself, we could also introduce things like CI
practices or testing or documentation.