With brcomcat the linux bridge module must still be disabled. However the old
bridge tools will still work but use the openvswitch underneath, it's really
just a compatibility layer.

> >     I think you're suggesting making it more few setup steps
> >     for enabling ovs. And I completly agree with it. So we might
> >     need some more improvements here...
> >

> > In fact, I am thinking about preconfigured ovs environment(KVM or Xen).
> > I think openvswitch enabling shouldn't be part of work of
> > cloudstack(e.g. it's not a part of adding XenServer host). For KVM,
> > user can loaded openvswitch module(without brcompat module), unload
> > bridge module, and start openvswitch service to enable ovs. We should
> > add some steps in manual for that.
> >
> > I am agree we need more investigation here, to find a proper way tell
> > if user want to use ovs or not.

That's tricky.  I usually check if the openvswitch kernel module is loaded in
the system, but it could be statically compile into the kernel. Using ovs-vsctl
is also a possibility, but might hang if the database is not present and in
general only reports if the userland binaries are installed.

> I'm ok for changing the default to ovs (adding dependency in packages).

I'm fine with this too. I didn't do it for backwards compatibility and to
prevent problems with existing setup. I think it's perfectly fine to make ovs
the default with the next release. Then we have one release (4.1) where people
can play with the ovs integration on KVM and in the next release it's enabled
by default. However I think we should not force the installation of the
openvswitch on users when we install cloudstack-agent. That is something that
should be done by sysadmins. Just like we don't force the installation of kvm
virtualization tools. However we should tell the user that openvswitch support
is not enabled on the system and that it is a requirement.