I think there does need to be some course correction, but perhaps we
should look at the development cycle overall and the lessons learned
from 4.1.  Did we not allocate enough time for bugfixing? Did we allow
too many low-quality merges for the time allotted? Did we have issues
with the overlap (allowing new features into master while bugfixing/QA
needed to be focused on)? Or something else? Or maybe all of it?

One thing that may help is to have some sort of feature review during
the development cycle. Maybe at the halfway point we make a list if
what will be in this release, with the intent of weeding out last
minute bombs being dropped just before feature freeze. If a relatively
large change isn't feature complete and its devs don't have it testing
3-4 weeks before feature freeze, then it gets moved to the next
release. Sort of a sliding window for feature freeze, based on
complexity. I know we've sort of said 'big changes can only land at
the beginning of a cycle' once or twice, but I think making it
official via some sort of review that pins features into releases
would be helpful in solidifying that (as well as developer
expectations).

Or maybe we extend the time between feature freeze and code freeze,
knowing that features are inevitably going to be rushed in at the last
minute.

I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but if we're going to talk
about adjusting the 4.2 release, I thought it might be wise to
consider fine-tuning the development cycle in general.